Saturday, November 16, 2013

Favorite Picture Books for Spotting Awesome Machines

Any kid who is into machines will be excited to discover the treasures depicted in the books listed here. Amazingly, Dr. Seuss draws a lot of really awesome machines so he dominates the list. We all knew he was a guru of rhyme but who knew he was so creative with machines?!

Look a Book. This is a great new "I-Spy" book. For preschool engineers there is one page dedicated entirely to a robot factory! Lots of fun...a book I'm happy to return to for I Spy games. The writing/rhyming isn't bad either. "Look! A Book! A Hook! A Cowboy Cook!"



The Lorax. A super axe hacker? Plus a thneed factory? This is one of my all-time favorite books for so many reasons... And now it is one of my child's favorite books, too.



The Sleep Book. My kid wants a "Who's Asleep Counter" and we are building draw bridges because of this book. A great Seuss read AND some cool machines to discover.


Demolition. You may know that I'm not wild about Sutton's writing but I have to admit that the pictures of awesome machines in this book are pretty cool. A crusher, a chipper, and an excavator with a claw join the usual suspects (bulldozer, loader, dump truck) in a demolition project.


Cars and Trucks and Things that Go. In classic Richard Scarry design, this book has it all and then some. If you can convince your kid that there is no story and just enjoy the pictures then this should be a home run for anyone interested in cool machines.




No comments:

Post a Comment