Monday, March 28, 2016

Beautiful NonFiction

I stood in front of the nonfiction section in our local library looking for a good book about birds for my preschooler. And since I'm the one reading to her I wanted it to be good for me too. I pulled a stack of bird books from the shelf and sat down to read through them with my daughter. Two books stood out: "Sweep Up the Sun" and "I See a Bird."

"I See a Bird" is a simple and age appropriate book about birds for preschoolers. Young children learning to read might be able to work through the words, too. It seemed like a standard nonfiction book for kids. It was informative but dry. Good enough. But I was looking for something great.

"Sweep Up the Sun" is exactly what I was looking for. The information is told through easy-to-read poem. I felt warm and happy when I read it to my daughter. And the images were stunning.

I think the best way to depict the difference between the two books is by simply showing you their covers. Sure, sure. I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover. I think that is very true for a novel. But for picture books, the image on the cover is representative of what you will find inside the pages of the book. Case in point: "I See a Bird" and "Sweep Up the Sun."


 


Now tell me: which book makes you want to read it? 

There is no reason we have to suffer through bad books. That doesn't just apply to our own grown-up reading of novels, newspapers, magazines or cookbooks. Reading with our children should be a pleasure, too. In fact, I believe there is so much we can learn in toddler-sized lessons. We merely have to be open to learning with our children...and have access to books we can enjoy with them. 



2 comments:

  1. Yep! I'd like the poem one better too. Especially if it has rhyming...a foundation to phonemics and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! I'd like the poem one better too. Especially if it has rhyming...a foundation to phonemics and reading.

    ReplyDelete